National Camogie Feile
Our u15 Camogie team made the long journey to the Connacht Centre of excellence in Bekan Co Mayo on Saturday last to take part in the Division One Camogie National Feile. The tournament which involved 8 clubs divided into 2 groups of 4 teams .Lucan sarsfields where drawn into the 2 group along with Boherlahan/Dualla (Tipperary), Newtownshandrum (Cork) and Duffry Rovers (Wexford).
We departed at 7:30 from the club house by Bus hoping to showcase our camogie talents ,compete against other teams and potentially bring home some victories. There was a lively and spirited atmosphere on the bus with great renditions by the players of all the latest songs. We arrived at the centre of excellence after a briefing by the organisers and a walk around the Dome we set about preparing for the first game. After the warm up we headed for pitch 3 for our first game against the Tipperary Feile Champions Boherlahan/Dualla. We got off to a slow start given that the competition is only 12 minutes a half, we had a mountain to climb with a half time scoreline of 2-4 to 0-2. We battled in the second half and had our chances, but ultimately our slow start was a bridge to far and Boherlahan/Dualla ran out winners 4-4 to 0-4. Our second game was against Newtownshandrum (Cork) was a much closer affair with nothing in it. The game could have gone either way but unfortunately Lucan lost by the smallest of margins 2-4 to 2-3.
The last group game was against Duffry Rovers (Wexford), the players got off to a great start playing some super Camogie to the delight of the supporters. A well-deserved win was secured on a scoreline of 0-2 to 1-7 Lucan.
The next game our fourth was a shield semi-final against Dicksboro (Kilkenny). A bright start saw Lucan into the lead with a well taken goal and converted frees, but Dickbsboro were never too far behind with a half time scorline of 0-4 to 1-3 Lucan. The second half saw the expected Dicksboro fightback and a goal and points had them leading by 3, with time running out, Lucan pushed for the equalising score but with less than a minute left Dicksboro scored a goal and with the last puck tacked on a point to win 2-9 to 1-5. Even though we had lost the semi-final the players gave their best efforts throughout the day. They competed at such a high level, unwavering effort and teamwork in every match that is something to be proud of. They enjoyed the unique atmosphere of the National Feile and cherished the moments on and off the field.
Team: Kate Lynch, Tara Montgomery, Niamh O’Brien, Caoileann Sharkey, Ciara Hylands, Cara Coffey ,Kate Kennedy , Juliette Harford, Sabhdh Lynch, Olivia Byrne, Reka Kiss Kallo (capt), Eva Collis, Sophie Carberry, Ellen Eakins, Chloe Newman, Millie Ryan, Aoibhinn Murray, Orla Dunne, Aoife Murphy, Kate O’Brien, Grace Birch, Erin Hynes. Mentors: William Eakins ,Catriona Montgomery, Lorraine Byrne, Aisling Ni Ruairc, Cathal Lynch, Darren Sharkey
Several Lucan teams were in action this week as the adult hurling leagues reached the concluding stages. The seniors came from behind to draw with St Judes at the 12th Lock on Wednesday evening and the Intermediates had a good win over St Brigids in Russell Park on Sunday morning (match reports below). Meanwhile the Junior As secured second place in the league and a home promotion playoff with wins over St Peregrines (Tuesday) and Trinity Gaels (Sunday). The Junior Cs were beaten by Castleknock on Thursday night.
However, events on the field this week were overshadowed by the very sad news of the passing of baby Brógan Swords, son of Junior hurler Tiernán Swords. All in the Club extend our condolences to Tiernán, Debbi and all their family.
AHL1 Lucan Sarsfields 1-18 St Judes 1-18. 12th Lock, Wednesday 21/6/2023.
Lucan seniors showed commendable resolve to fight back from 7 points down with 10 minutes to play to secure a draw against a tough St Judes side. However, it is a game Lucan should have won well as they had the lion's share of possession and shot 21 wides on the night. The early stages were evenly contested until a Judes goal gave them a lead which they held until the final stages. Judes led 1-10 to 0-9 at half time and extended their advantage in the third quarter as Lucan missed a host of chances through a combination of errant shooting and poor decision making. As the game drew to a conclusion, Lucan mounted a strong comeback driven on by a well taken Ben Coffey goal. A succession of points followed and Lucan took the lead well into injury time with a long range score by Charlie Keher. However, the referee found time for a couple of more minutes and Judes got the equaliser with the final puck of the game.
Lucan Team/scorers: C Canavan, M McCaffrey (0-1), P Rigney, R Smith, K Fitzgerald, J McCaffrey, C Walsh, C Keenan (0-2), S Harkness (0-6f), B Coffey (1-0), C McHugh, C Dowling (0-2), C Keher (0-3, 0-1f), N Stagg (0-1), E Dowling (0-3). Subs introduced: M Coogan, E Allen, J Behan, K Cooney.
AHL4 St Brigids 2-15 Lucan Sarsfields 2-24. Russell Park, Sunday 25/6/2023.
Lucan Intermediates travelled to Russell Park for their final league game needing to win and another result to go their way to secure a promotion play-off place in Division 4. They did what they could with a comfortable win over Bt Brigids but unfortunately the other result did not find favour and they have to settle for fourth place after a good league campaign. Lucan started well and looked to be in control when Niall Stagg goaled after 15 minutes. Colm Keenan was running the show in midfield and picking off some good scores from distance However, St Brigids came back into the match in the second quarter and only the goal separated the sides at half time, 1-11 to 0-11. That gap was eliminated by a Brigids goal at the start of the second half, but Lucan responded well to pick off the next few points and were well on top for most of the second half. They picked off some lovely scores including a brilliant point by Alex Hickey who ran the length of the field from corner back before splitting the posts. Brendan Cavanagh capped an excellent performance at corner forward with a well taken goal, but that was cancelled out by a late Brigids goal at the other end.
Lucan Team/Scorers: C Canavan, S Coffey, R Twomey, A Hickey (0-1), J Finn, A Byrne, A McNulty, C Keenan (0-8, 0-3f), L Murphy, R Ward (0-1), E Allen (0-4), N Stagg (1-3), B Cavanagh (1-4), K Cooney (0-1), D Kavanagh. Subs introduced: F Bruton, J Dunne (0-2), C Hyland, A Sheahan.
Coiste na nÓg / Juvenile
The Club is delighted to see our U13B Camogie crowned champions of Division 6. Well done girls great to see all effort and training pay off.
Our advanced camps concluded this week organised by our GPO Alan who arranged a fantastic program for the greater than 100 attendees. We had plenty of surprise coaches during the 3 days. Day one commenced with Sean Bugler, Lorcan O'Dell, Stephen O'Shaughnessy, Johnny McGlynn and Jay Perry imparting their wealth of knowledge and skills. Day two saw our own Daire Newcombe attend to work on some defensive skills for our future club stars. The final day we had Lucan MMA and Lucan Harriers work on our strength and conditioning, we are very grateful to both clubs for extending their expertise to our younger members. We have plenty of pics and videos on the socials for everyone to recap on the excellent week.
Remember you can book Club Camps here, Camp Samhraidh here and the Cúl Camp link is here
We would like to extend our thanks to all our sponsors and all of the 60 teams that competed on the day for the smashing prizes. The Golf Committee did some fantastic work in the preceding weeks before the event and have raised some vital funds for the club development.
The first 21 teams who won prizes are
1. Gallant Homes Ballyliffin Golf Club – 8 Green Fees plus 2 Nights B&B At The Lake of Shadows Hotel for Two plus 2 Nights B&B for Two at The Inishowen Gateway Hotel
2. Pio O’Leary Nenagh Golf Club – 4 Green Fees plus One Night B& B in 4 Single Rooms at the Abbey Court Hotel
3. The Dream Team Castleknock Hotel – Dinner for 2 incl. wine x 4 Vouchers
4. Derek McGrath Golf Studio Luttrellstown Golf Club – 4 Green Fees
5. The Hudson Rooms Hermitage Golf Club – 4 Green Fees
6. Cassidy Travel Palmerstown House Estate Golf Club – 4 Green Fees
7. Randalswood McGrath The Castle Golf Club – 4 Green Fees
8. The Spa Hotel Newlands Golf Club – 4 Green Fees
9. Sean Walsh 2 Faithlegg Golf Club – 4 Green Fees
10. Sensor Electrical Bantry Bay Golf Club – 4 Green Fees
11. McCaffery Family Bundoran Golf Club – 4 Green Fees
12. Greenday Enviornmental Bunclody Golf Club – 4 Green Fees
13. Aidan Rheinisch Tulfarris Hotel and Golf Resort – 4 Green Fees
14. Automatic Fire Millicent Golf Club – 4 Green Fees
15. Insanity Fit Zone Beech Park Golf Club – 4 Green Fees
16. Keane Windows Castlewarden Golf Club – 4 Green Fees
17. AIB Westmanstown Golf Club – 4 Green Fees
18. Toyota Liffey Valley Elmgreen Golf Club – 4 Green Fees
19. Driveshaft Services St. Helen’s Bay Golf Resort, Kilrane, Rosslare Harbour – 4 Green Fees
20. Precision Building Services Lucan Golf Club – 4 Green Fees
21. The Ball Alley Gerry Teague Golf Lesson with Pro and Lunch for 2 at Galway Golf Club
Colm Walsh Team Walsh
Derek McGrath Golf Studio
Darren Nolan Finance Solutions
1st Hole Martin O’Reilly Chadwicks
18th Hole Kevin Fitzgerald Crane Care
1st Hole Patricia Kelly Keane Windows
18th Hole Laura McCaffery Sean McCAffery
Nearest the Pin
8th James Ryan Stitch and Print
11th Finbarr Delaney Esker Physio
16th Kate Whyte Sean Newcombe
The raffle was also a great success and we would like to thank all in the café, Bar and the Golf Committee for making a huge effort to sell ticket’s.
The winners of the raffle are:
1. Brown Thomas/Arnotts -€250 Voucher–Gerry Dolan
2. Liffey Valley SC -€200 Voucher & Zizzi’s–Main Course for 6-Kevin Caulfield
3. Clayton Hotel –B&B for Family &Dinner x2 in the Globe Restaurant-Cora Harris
4. Lakeside Hotel Killaloe –Dinner, B&B x2 in a Waterfront Room–Columba Faulkner
5. Springfield Hotel –Dinner, B&B for 2 Joanne Hickey
6. Irish Times –1 Yr Digital M/Ship & Bernard Owens Menswear -€30 Voucher–Rob Walsh
7. His & Hers Ted Baker Designer Sunglasses Kieran McShea
8. Johnstone’s Decorating Centre-€200 Voucher-Joy Hearns
9. Avant Money -€150 One4All Voucher – Robert Ryan
10. Sports Direct -€150 Voucher – Noel White
11. Carmel’s Aesthetic-Laser &Beauty -Facial €120 - Denis Conhaeady
12. Golf Ireland Academy–1 Yr M/Ship Driving Range - Brian Staunton
13. Power & Co Fine Wines –Hamper & Cartridge Expert -€50Voucher – Mary Breslin
14. Hudson Rooms €50 & LeopardstownR/Course – 4 Tickets - Morgan Dwyer
15. The Great Outdoors –€100Voucher - Olivia Condon
16. Whiteheatherhome.com -€100 Voucher – Kieran Graham
17. Carmel’s Aesthetic-Laser & Beauty -€100 Voucher – Conor McNulty
18. Barberstown Castle –Lunch x2 & Pampering Hamper – Enda Tucker
19. Hetty’s Floral Design -€100 & Bistro 53-Lunch x2 - Don Marlow
20. Power Tool Hub -€100 & Reeds on the River -€50Voucher - Joanne O’Shea
21. Club Vitae –10 Day GuestPass &Halpenny Golf -€50 Voucher – Joe O’Connor
22. Sidewalk Catering -€100 Voucher – Edward Shanagher
23. Hair & Beauty by D Lawless -€50 Voucher & Annadale Chinese -€30 Voucher – Pat Egan