Old Leighlin GAA Club
STONE DEVELOPMENTS LIMITED
Bawnleith Quarry as it was formally known has been in existence since the middle of the 19th century. Records indicate that the lime kiln, situated beside the existing canteen, was built in 1883. At the time, it was known as Phillips Quarry.
The 1913 the Walshe family commenced working the quarry. They built up a good business and with Keenanís of Bagenalstown (Lime Plant), the basis for the present quarry as we now know it was laid.
In 1964 the Walshe family sold its interest to Stone Developments Limited. Today James Walshe Quarries is the biggest producers of Blue Grey Limestone in Ireland. Supplying stone for the domestic market, Northern Ireland, UK, Belguim, Holland, France, Italy and Switzerland.
Stone Developments limited is a member of the Sisk group of companies, Naas Road, Clondalkin, Dublin 22. Originally stonemasonry was an integral part of the construction company and as a result of the growth of this construction company Stone Developments Limited was created and incorporated as a separate company in 1964. The foundation of Stone Developments Limited in 1964 was based on a long tradition of stone working in John Sisk & Son Limited back to the lathe 19th century. In the last decade of the 20th century Stone Developments has grown to the position of being the largest company of itís kind in Ireland with manufacturing facilities on Ballybrew, Co. Wicklow and Old Leighlin in Co. Carlow. In addition, the company quarries from time to time granite in Ballyknocken, Co. Wicklow as well as quarrying in Cork and Kerry.
The company provides a desigh and manufacturing service from Ballybrew whereas Carlow is principally a manufacturing facility.
Stone Developments Limited is proud of itís sponsorship and association with Old Leighlin GFC.